Prof. Maaz ul Hasan
M.B.B.S, FCPS, FLS
Consultant General/Bariatric Surgeon and Professor of Surgery
Shalamar Institute of Health Sciences, Lahore
Department of General Surgery
About Dr. Maaz ul Hasan
Dr. Maaz Ul Hassan is a highly accomplished Professor of General Surgery at Shalamar Hospital in Lahore. His research focuses on surgery and medical sciences, resulting in numerous publications in reputable journals. He specializes in general, laparoscopic, and bariatric surgery, with extensive experience in minimally invasive procedures. Dr. Hassan received his MBBS from Quaid-e-Azam Medical College and holds certifications from prestigious institutions. He has operated on thousands of patients, including complex cases of obesity, and has received several honors and awards for his contributions. He has operated on the heaviest patient in Pakistan, weighing 380 kg (now 140 kg), as well as the heaviest child in the world, weighing 200 kg (now 100 kg). He has also operated on a rare case of Winchester syndrome, a condition with only 11 cases reported worldwide. Dr. Maaz Ul Hassan is an active member of international professional societies and holds leadership positions in the field. His dedication to advancing surgical practices and patient care is remarkable.
- Professor, Department of Surgery, Shalamar Medical and Dental College, Lahore
Dr. Maaz Ul Hassan’s clinical interests include general surgery, laparoscopic surgery, and bariatric surgery. He specializes in performing minimally invasive procedures and has extensive experience in treating obesity-related conditions.
Dr. Maaz has published several research papers in reputable journals, focusing on topics related to surgery and medical sciences. Some of his selected publications include studies on wrist ganglion, diabetes and hepatitis C, predictors of difficult cholecystectomy, outcomes of laparoscopic appendectomy, hernia repair methods, and prevention of wound infection.
- Professor Of Surgery, General And Laproscopic Surgeon • Shalamar Hospital •1st Jan 2022 – Date
- Associate Professor Of Surgery General And Laproscopic Surgeon Shalamar Hospital 2014-2021
- General, Laparoscopic And Bariatric Surgeon • King Fahad Medical College • 2009 – 2014
- Registrar – General Surgery – 2004, Fatima Memorial Hospital, Lahore.
- Position Held As “Post Graduate Resident” In General Surgery 2003 – July 2003, Mayo Hospital, Lahore
- Position Held As “House Physician” 1998, Mayo Hospital, Lahore.
- Position Held As “House Surgeon” In 1998, Mayo Hospital, Lahore
- MBBS • 1997• Quaid-E-Azam Medical College, Bahawalpur
- FCPS • 2004 • College Od Sugeons And Physicians Of Pakistan
- Member of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorder (IFSO)
- Member of International Bariatric Club
- President of PSMBS-Pakistan Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Lahore chapter
- Joint Secretary PSMBSL Pakistan
1. Hassan M, Ali, M. T., & Nadeem, A. Comparison of Surgical Excision versus Aspiration and Injection of Steroid of Wrist Ganglion. PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF MEDICAL & HEALTH SCIENCES. 2017;11(4), 1412-1414.
2. Atif M, Arshad S, Javaid K, Hassan M, Ahmad F, Imran M, Imran M, Jamal A, Fatima Z, Waqar AB. Diabetes and Hepatitis C: Two sides of a coin. Adv. Life Sci. 2017; 4(3): 72-76.
3. Ahmed N, Hassan MU, Tahira M, Samad A, Rana HN. Intra-Operative Predictors of difficult cholecystectomy and Conversion to Open Cholecystectomy – A New Scoring System. Pak J Med Sci. 2018;34(1):62-66. doi:10.12669/pjms.341.13302
4. Aqil Razzaq M, Hassan M, Shahab A. Compare the Outcomes of Single Incision Laparoscopic Appendectomy Vs Conventional Three Port Laparoscopic Appendectomy. 13(4).
5. Razzaq M, Shahab A. Examine the Outcomes of Open Method and Laparoscopic Approach for Paraumbilical Hernia Repair.; 2019. Accessed June 17, 2023. https://pjmhsonline.com/2019/oct_dec/pdf/n1/1305.pdf
6. Asif, Khumair & Maaz-Ul-Hassan, & Rehman, Muneeb & Rasheed, Tayyaba & Zahid, Laiba. (2020). Compare the Efficacy of 0.2% Topical Glyceryl Trinitrate (GTN) Versus Placebo in Prevention of Wound Infection in Patients Undergoing Milligan-Morgan Hemorrhoidectomy. Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 14. 581-583.
7. Hassan M ul, Khaliq Khan F, Ahmad Khan R, Naveed M. A Cross Sectional Study on the Rising Frequency of Gallbladder Stones. Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 2021;15(11):3447-3449. doi:https://doi.org/10.53350/pjmhs2115113447
8. Ahmad Khan R, Khaliq Khan F, Hassan M ul, Naveed M. A Cross Sectional Study on the Outcome of Rubber Band Ligation in third Degree Hemorrhoids. Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 2021;15(11):3453-3454. doi:https://doi.org/10.53350/pjmhs2115113453
9. Ul Hassan M, Athif Akram M, Javaid I, Aftab H, Malik N, Rana H. Role of Ursodeoxycholic Acid in Prevention of Gallstones after Sleeve Gastrectomy. Accessed June 17, 2023. https://pjmhsonline.com/2021/march/666.pdf
10. Hassan M, Muhammad Shah S, Shah AA. Incidence of Appendicitis in Adults. Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 2021;15(11):3172-3173. doi:https://doi.org/10.53350/pjmhs2115113172
11. Shah, Ali & Hassan, Maaz-ul & Shah, Syed & Razzaq, Muhammad & Hanif, Muhammad & Zai, Abdul. (2021). Risk of Gastrointestinal Complications in Post Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. Pakistan Journal of Medical and Health Sciences. 15. 3054-3055. 10.53350/pjmhs2115113054.