Prof. Dr. M. Saleem
MBBS, FRCS, FRCS (Tr & Orth)
Head of Trauma and Orthopedics
Shalamar Institute of Health Sciences, Lahore
Department of Orthopedics and Reconstructive Surgery
About Prof. Dr. M.Saleem
Dr. M. Saleem is an accomplished orthopedic surgeon and the Head of Trauma & Orthopedic Services at Shalamar Institutes of Health Sciences in Pakistan. Dr. Saleem has been instrumental in organizing the AO International 4-day Trauma courses with hands-on Synbone, which is a unique offering in Pakistan. These courses have been conducted annually for the past 14 years. Additionally, Shalamar Hospital serves as a center for AO Trauma fellowship.
With over 23 years of experience, Dr. Saleem specializes in foot and ankle surgery and is widely regarded as a leading expert in this field in Pakistan. He has also made significant contributions to minimal invasive surgery techniques. His expertise extends to various areas, including arthroscopic surgery, arthroplasty, Ilizarov surgery, upper limb surgery, and pediatric orthopedic surgery.
Dr. Saleem obtained his medical degree from Nishter Medical College in 1987. He completed his four-year pre-fellowship training in Ireland and successfully passed the FRCS (Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons) in General Surgery from the Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow in 1993. He underwent five years of structured training under the supervision of Professor George Bentley in the Trauma & Orthopedic department on the Stanmore rotation in London. During this period, he had the opportunity to work at renowned teaching hospitals such as Great Ormond Street, Royal Free Hospital, and Whittington. He obtained his FRCS (Intercollegiate Board Exam of Trauma & Orthopedic from U.K) in 1999. Before joining Shalamar Hospital in 2000, he worked as a locum consultant Orthopedic at Old Church Hospital/Queens Hospital in Romford, London.
Dr. Saleem’s accomplishments in the field of orthopedic surgery have earned him recognition as one of the top orthopedic surgeons in Pakistan. He has authored numerous publications and serves as an examiner and paper setter for FCPS and MS Orthopedic surgery. He is a certified AO International faculty member and actively contributes to the field. Beyond his clinical work, Dr. Saleem is actively involved in various professional organizations and has served on numerous national and institutional committees. He currently holds a faculty position in a National Foot & Ankle forum and contributes to the Step to Walk event, an international initiative based in the United States. He collaborates with renowned orthopedic surgeons such as Prof. Mark Myerson and Prof. Amer Aziz.
- Professor of Orthopedics, Shalamar Medical & Dental College, Lahore
- AO International Faculty member
Dr. M. Saleem is a highly skilled medical professional specializing in the management of complex and neglected trauma in both adult and pediatric populations. As a prominent faculty member of AO (Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen), he adheres to international standards and employs minimally invasive surgical techniques to achieve excellent results. One of his areas of expertise lies in the management of neglected and mismanaged foot and ankle problems, which constitute a significant portion of his surgical practice. Dr. M. Saleem also possesses advanced proficiency in the treatment of knee issues, particularly in young individuals, and frequently performs arthroscopic procedures to address various sports injuries. Moreover, he is adept at managing complex shoulder problems and conducting joint replacement surgeries. Additionally, Dr. M. Saleem demonstrates proficiency in the management of benign tumors and is well-versed in Ilizarov surgery techniques. With his comprehensive skill set and commitment to patient care, Dr. M. Saleem provides top-quality medical services in his field.
Dr M Saleem is involved in the postgraduate level research work for the residents,
1987 MBBS, The Nishtar Medical College, Multan.
1993 FRCS The Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Glasgow, UK
1994 ATLS, The Royal Free Hospital, London, U.K.
1998 AO Trauma Fellowship University of Freiburg / Germany
1999 FRCS (Trauma and Orth.) The Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Glasgow, UK (Diplomat Intercollegiate Board in Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
- FCPS Plastic Surgery College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan; 2018
- MBBS Fatima Jinnah Medical College for Women; 2008
1999-1999 Special Registrar Trauma & Orthopedic Old Church / Queens Hospital, Essex, London
1998 – 1998 Special Registrar Trauma & Orthopedic Baslidon and Orsett, Hospital, Essex, London
1997- 1997 Special Registrar Trauma & Orthopedic Great Ormond Street, Hospital, London
1996-1996 Special Registrar Trauma & Orthopedic, Whittington, London
1995-1996 Special Registrar Trauma & Orthopedic, Lister Hospital, Stevenag, London
1994-1995 Special Registrar Trauma & Orthopedic, The Royal Free Hospital, and The North Middlesex Hospital, London
1994-1994 PGR Trauma and Orthopedic Ealing Hospital, London
1990-1993 Pre-Fellow, ship General Surgery rotation residency, Meath Hospital Dublin, Wexford General Hospital, Cork regional Hospital and South infirmary Hospital Cork, Ireland.
1988-1990 Medical Officer, B. H. U / District Hospital Multan, Pakistan.
1987-1988 Intern, (General Medicine, General Surgery) Nishtar Hospital, Multan Pakistan.
- 1999 Diplomat Intercollegiate Board in Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, The Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Glasgow, UK
• Worked as a Locum Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon, Old Church / Queens Hospital Rumford, Essex, London in 1999 and early 2000 after Intercollegiate board exam, U.K.
• Joined as a Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon Shalamar Hospital April 2000 where I was working as a independent surgeon like a U.K. model along with my two other consultants who were also trained from U.K.
• Assistant Professor Trauma & Orthopedic, Shalamar Medical & Dental College in addition to Shalamar Hospital from 2009 to April 2015
• Associate Professor Trauma & Orthopedic, Shalamar Medical & Dental College in addition to Shalamar Hospital from 2015 to April 2017
• Associate Professor and Head of Department Trauma & Orthopedic, Shalamar Medical & Dental College in addition to Shalamar Hospital from 2015 to April 2017
• Professor and Head of Department Trauma & Orthopedic, Shalamar Medical & Dental College in addition to Shalamar Hospital from April 2017 till date
• Pakistan Orthopaedic Association, life time since 2000, membership No. 196
• AO Trauma Middle East membership No. 343701